Saturday, November 1, 2008

Bible Study

I host a Bible Study every other Saturday morning with my family. My mother, aunt, and cousins all come over and do this absolutely wonderful study called "So The World May Know". It's a DVD study in which a historian and archaeologist actually goes through Jerusalem, to the actual places major stories of the Bible took place in. You get a sense of the area from a geographic standpoint which helps you appreciate its importance. Then they discuss the story that took place there and its significance. I think its fascinating and I enjoy my study very much.

Today however, it turned a bit ugly for me. I am not sure, but someone brought up the topic of Oprah and how she was too full of herself and proud, but because she follows basic biblical principles, even though she is not a Christian, she is blessed.

Now, I thoroughly enjoy Oprah. I am not one of these women who place her on a pedestal, but i think she comes from a true and authentic place in what she does, and so I appreciate her immensely. When I think of Oprah, i see someone who is extremely generous and giving. I see someone who is demonstrates Christs love for our fellow man. I know that she is a Christian, but she sees a bigger picture in things.

I happened to speak up and tell the group that Oprah is in fact a Christian and that I do not see her as being full of herself in the slightest. She is very honest and open. She is aware that there is still so much to learn from people and is open to it. I respect that.

"She's not really a Christian. She is a mystic! She believes in all that karma crap and yoga stuff. All of that is Hindu belief and such.. that isn't God. She's not Christian! All that meditation garbage...."

I held my tongue. Wow! If this is how she feels about Oprah, what does that mean about how she feels about me. I mean, here I am... very much on the same page as Oprah (not BECAUSE of Oprah mind you), and i am still hosting a Bible study because I very much believe in the Bible and Jesus Christ...but now I am not considered a Christian? Maybe I am not any more....who knows... but is that a bad thing?

They started talking about the whole "A New Earth" garbage. LOL. I told them that I was reading that book and that I enjoyed it. "It's anti-Christian" I was told. Was it? I don't find it to be about "religion" at all. I find it to be about distinguishing your soul from your mind and living your live from an authentic place within your soul.. which is in fact who you really are.

My aunt started blasting meditation. I asked, "What's wrong with meditation?"
"meditating on the Bible is fine. But they want you to do all that garbage about meditating on the God that's within you. As if you yourself are some sort of God."

"Do you believe that our soul is a piece of God?, " I asked.
"Yes, but that is only because I have accepted Jesus Christ. God can't live within your soul unless you accept his son as your personal savior."

Wow, I thought. It's not important to accept God as your savior.. only his son. I believe in Jesus Christ and his teachings 100%. I do believe that he is the son of God. However, I believe we all are the children of God. I believe that accepting Jesus Christ as our personal savior is accepting his teachings and his way of life, his way of interacting with others, is the way to achieve our personal salvation.

This is what I don't get. When someone we love dies, and he is not "saved", we are told to believe that through prayer that they go to heaven because God has mercy on them. Why do we not think that God doesn't have mercy on us while we are alive? I mean look at the millions of people who have lived on this Earth and who have died. Even before Jesus's time. Do we really believe that God discarded them because they did not believe in Jesus who may or may not have existed during their lifetime? Are we to believe that God, the all mighty and all powerful created more than half of us for the reason of destroying us or punishing us for not believing in Him? If we are truly all God's children, do we think that God is a parent that would kick us out of the house and tell us not to come home? Would he not ave a space for us at his table? It doesn't add up to me. There are too many loose strings.

As far as trashing karma, how could that be? Isn't karma nothing more than "being a good christian." Treat others as you believe Christ would have treated them. If you are mean or do bad things to others, you leave yourself open for bad things to happen to you. I mean the Bible is full of stories of how people who did not follow the directions God bestowed upon them are showered by tragedy and obstacles. It was only when they found their way back to God that everything was made right again. Isn't that karma in a nut shell? Do good, you receive blessings. Stray from good, you receive turmoil. What's the difference.

My mother felt uncomfortable. I know she did because she knows that I am broadening my religious horizons and she does not approve. She doesn't want to know about what I am learning or how amazing it has made life. She wants no part of it. She is praying for God to save my soul. She doesn't realize that I am already saved because I feel that I am living in truth. It's weird when we see our parents, our elders, and think.. they still have so much to learn.

No comments: